Saturday, January 3, 2009

Happy Holidays

We had a fun and busy Christmas time. We enjoyed activities with members of both Dale's and Andrea's families. We missed seeing Dale's mom and Aaron's kids. All of Andrea's siblings and their spouses & kids made it through crazy weather conditions with outrageous (but true) travel stories to tell. It was wonderful to have everyone together:


We tried to purchase our Christmas tree this year at a tree farm just a few miles from our home. However, we arrived just as the last wagon had left. So we drove to a tree farm in the town where we used to live that we have always had good luck in getting trees late at night. Hooray! They were open! In the dark with five children, carrying Sophia, and slogging through mud, we searched for the perfect tree. (Kind of difficult when you can't really see the trees.) We found one that looked nice, chopped it down, payed way too much for it, drank hot chocolate with candy canes, and went on our muddy way. Jolie then proclaimed that she had lost a scarf and a stuffed animal. Who brings a stuffed animal to a dark, muddy tree farm?? Anyway, our van was heavier with a tree but lighter a toy. It didn't take long to realize that the branches on our tree were SHARP. Painfully so. Not a great selection for a home with young children... Who knew that Blue Spruces have sharp needles? (Not me.) However, since it was pruned to a nice, thin shape, it fit well in our not-so-big family room, and gifts around the tree buffeted passersby a bit. All Christmas season tree injuries were quickly recoverable. Hooray for the Christmas tree!


I bought pretty dresses for the three oldest girls, and they looked great (IMHO) the Sunday after church. I didn't buy dresses for April & Sophia, since they have a lot, but I felt bad about that. Luckily, my mom came to the rescue, and gave them these adorable dresses. They have hats (beret-style) that go with them, as well as over-dresses. They look super, and they received many comments at church. They aren't wearing the hats, because I asked Dale to take this photo while I hurried to prepare food for company, and Dale is all for no-fuss dressing... which includes no hats.

I'll write more about our December later. Suffice it to say that Christmas activities were a great distraction to some really hard things. It's great that, even when bad things happen, good things continue to touch us all around. (Sometimes we just have to make sure we are looking in the right direction.)


Happy 2009!

11 comments:

Diana said...

It was so fun to see you guys at Christmas--I always love spending time with you and your family. And, I was being completely serious about you guys coming up some time to play in Portland!

kg said...

I wish I was there too! You guys look great!! Glad you had had a great time with ALL your family there. I miss you.

Becky said...

Looks like you had a nice Christmas. Such a cute family!

Unknown said...

It's nice to see your Christmas report and pictures. Mom

Unknown said...

I loved all the Christmas pictures and hearing about your tree adventure! What a huge clan you have! I hope you realize how blessed you are to be surrounded but family. I love the last picture, so beautiful!

Amanda said...

I love your blog (even though I never comment). It was great to see you guys. Thanks for the presents and meal, letting us use your gym, and more importantly time spent w/you guys. Thanks for making the effort to see us that last day and coming out for the movie. Love you and your family-

Amanda

Dianne K. Nelson said...

Loved the thought of making sure we are looking in the right direction. I've been thinking a lot that sometimes in life, we just have to choose to be happy no matter what. Lovely pictures, lovely family! Can't wait to see you on Project Friday in February!

Smiles,
Dianne

Keely Glenn said...

I haven't been to this site yet. Its cool.

Brandon

Julie said...

I love your family pictures! I'm glad you had a good Christmas despite some unexplained setbacks. I was wondering what the scoop was on Brett and the pretty girl he has at his side. I haven't heard much from him lately so I hoped things were going well for him. Take care!

Mama Nirvana said...

Andrea, I don't make it over here very often, but when I do it is such a treat. You are such a good writer, and I love your honest sharing about raising your daughters. All of your girls are as beautiful as their mother.

Amy

PS: I haven't forgotten that I owe you some cupcakes. Please email me, because I would love to bring you some. mamanirvana at gmail.

Julie said...

Andrea- I was so glad to see your comment on my blog. I am anxiously awaiting any new updates on your life and your family. Your girls are soooo adorable. I now am working part-time for a home health agency and so I get to use my CNA skills. One person I visit is a child that can't sit up, roll over and has no control of her arm or legs or neck, and her father stays home to care for her. He lives in the basement of a townhouse with her. The mother (ex-wife) lives upstairs with her female significant other. The man hardly gets out of his house because this child is bedridden and attached to feeding tubes, etc. Talk about dedication. His life is about taking care of her. There are great people out there who are "hidden". They take care of others with little thought of themselves. You are doing a great job with your big, beautiful family. People will look to you for support when they will go through similar things. Keep on being "you" and they will find whatever they need to learn from you. Take care!